Update from Paul Tatton (Chairman of the Lancashire Groundsman's Association) about May advice on cricket ground maintenance.
- Verticut thin out meadow grass (poa annua), tease out lateral grasses but DO NOT disturb the clay surface.
- Rotate pitches playing initially on alternate pitches.
- Repair popping creases and pitches weekly, do not leave to accumulate.
- Dandelions and daisies are prevalent this season. Spray to control and make sure whoever does it are qualified (P1, P4 or P6 qualifications).
- Waterhogs – preserve sponges by storing in elevated position (stops flat spot on sponges).
- Use ECB website and download the excellent document / booklet TS4 - Recommended Guidelines for the construction, preparation and maintenance of cricket pitches and outfields at all levels of the game for unresolved cricket pitch issues.
Any ground issues please contact any of our 3 ECB Pitch Advisors.