Lancashire Unites To Launch Community Project
Footballers from two Lancashire clubs joined up with several Lancashire County Cricket Club stars to help launch The Lancashire Way at Emirates Old Trafford.
Preston North End's Kevin Davies and Corry Evans, Josh King and Bryan Dabo from Blackburn Rovers were put through their paces by Lancashire's James Anderson, Paul Horton, Luis Reece, Wayne White and Kate Cross to help launch the Club’s partnership with the LCCC Foundation and Lancashire Cricket Board for 2014.
Also in attendance were Callum Flynn and Jordan Williams from the England Physical Disability squad and brothers Minaj and Mohammed Bhada, who were selected to play in the Lord’s Taverners City Cup last year.
The Lancashire Way is aimed at promoting inclusivity and raising participation levels across Lancashire and the North West of England.
All parties will be involved in delivering six projects throughout 2014:
- Schools Open Day: On Tuesday 24th June – The Club anticipates that over 5,000 school children will be at Emirates Old Trafford for Day Three of the Lancashire v Northamptonshire LV=County Championship game. This will demonstrate that Emirates Old Trafford is open and accessible to the Community.
- Table Cricket: As an integral part of the LCCC Foundation’s work to Inspire Communities through Cricket the Disability Table Cricket programme provides young people with learning difficulties and disabilities from schools across the North West with coaching and competition opportunities. The programme involves 16 school teams participating in three weeks of Table Cricket Coaching, delivered by qualified coaches, followed by a competition.
- Trafford Day: Prior to Lancashire Lightning’s opening match of their NatWest T20 Blast campaign against Worcestershire Royals (7pm, Saturday 17 May 2014), Emirates Old Trafford will host a recreational game of T20 cricket between a Central Lancashire League XI and a Last Man Stands XI (Starts 2:15pm). Recreational cricketers from across the county, and residents and businesses from the borough of Trafford will be able to watch both games for a nominal price to experience an afternoon of exhilarating cricket, from grassroots to the professional game.
- South Asian Talent Search: Over 50 young men from a South Asian background who reside in Manchester, Salford and Trafford attended trials at Emirates Old Trafford in February. Following a further series of trials, successful participants will be invited to represent Manchester in the Lord’s Taverners’ City Cup which takes place in July.
- Adult Coaching Courses: The Intro to Cricket course is a four-week course aimed at adults who have never played cricket before, with the ultimate aim of increasing adult participation in the sport. During the programme, participants will learn the basics of the game in a fun and enjoyable environment. They will complete the course equipped with the basic skills to play the game socially. The Adult Intermediate course helps players take their game to the next level by building on the fundamental skills acquired during the Intro to Cricket course to improve technique, shot selection and tactics – an ideal option for those who have played previously and already have a grasp of the basics and those progressing from the Intro to Cricket course.
- Corporate 6-a-side Competitions: Our six-a-side competitions are for mixed teams (at least 1 female player per team) and are aimed at local businesses to highlight the fun of playing cricket. In 2014 we are developing the one-off tournaments we ran in 2013 into a league which will run through June & July.
LCCC Cricket Director Mike Watkinson said: “Cricket is important to Lancashire people and collectively we have a responsibility to ensure that all communities can access cricket. We want to open up cricket to all communities from Playground to Test Arena.”
Further images from the launch available on our Facebook site at www.facebook.com/LancsCB and ook for the Lancashire Way 2014 Lauch album.
Rate this article
The 2014 Development of Excellence Presentation Evening will take place on Monday 10 November in The Point (Emirates Old Trafford). ... Full story