Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/lancash8/public_html/lib/vivvo/framework/full_page_cache.functions.php on line 133

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/lancash8/public_html/lib/vivvo/vivvo_lite_site.php on line 115
Lancashire Cricket Board - Three Days Without a Blog
Home | News | Blogs | John Heaton Blog | Three Days Without a Blog

Three Days Without a Blog

Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font

With a lot to tell you - some good, some very good and some not so good

Shall we start with the not so good?


Two games for the Mount at the weekend plus the first home game of the season in League One for the Shakers. This was a not the start we wanted (that is Tom and myself).We made the trip without Soph who was scoring for the Mount. Although the Shakers  expended a lot of effort we lost 2-0, and it could have been worse. BY the way we lost to Carlisle United.


Thankfully Brentord lost 2-0 as well so John Hood could just get on with his scoring at Taunton this week without blowing his trumpet.


From Gigg Lane we then moved to Walkden for the Bolton League away fixture which the Mount needed to win to keep their championship push on line. We had already been alerted to the scores at Walkden with them having been pegged back at 120 for 6 eventually amassing a total of 193.


When we arrived at the ground the Mount were 20 for 2 with no sign of Plon (Kerr) or Bomber – both out.  A stand between Keegy and the Pro looked our best chance until Keegy had a rush of blood and ran the Pro out. The game ended with an easy win for Walkden and a narrowing of the gap at the top to 14 points. 


Sunday started with yours truly off to Taunton with Tom, his mum and my good lady as the teams gathered at Kings College for the Inter-County Under 11 Festival. Sophie (Scorer) and Dad were off to Greenmount for the Lancashire Knockout Semi v Norden to decide who would play, of all teams, Walkden in the Final at Old Trafford in September.


Our journey to Taunton was swift and untroubled. Tom was dropped of at Kings and we then spent the afternoon and evening waiting for the texts from Greenmount. These came along at regulal intervals. Norden batted first and had reached 91 for 1 when PJH was introduced into the attack with clear instructions from Stewie to sort them out. His 4 for 20 including the wickets of Dexter and the Norden pro swinging the game in our favour. Norden eventually finished on 158.


We decided to head into Taunton for our evening meal and after some navigation problems in the town centre entered the Perkin Warbeck Hostelry (Wetherspoons). This was massive and almost empty apart from a group of extremely intoxicated Taunton numties. Whilst enduring their very noisy extremes we had a good meal punctuated by texts which became more and more stressful. After a splendid start and another Plon fifty wickets, had begun to fall. Son number one had his pads on ready to bat at number nine but Danny (Hornby) stayed calm, cool and collected and the Mount were through to the Final at O.T.


Cue celebrations !!!


The two Mrs Heatons plus yours truly started that on our return to our Premier Inn lodgings as PJH, Sophie and super supporter Helen set off, without a single drink for the 220 mile journey to join us in Taunton.


Text messages kept us informed in the Premier Inn as to the progress along the M6 and M5. The two Mrs Heatons had to retire early, but I remained alert, sensible and able to greet the rest of the family plus Helen at about 11.30 after their untroubled journey down (apart from the Greenmount scorers snoring.


I was able to share a quiet sensible celebratory glass to recognise the success of reaching the Final before retiring to face the stresses and stresses of the week ahead.


The fact that Somerset were playing Notts in the CB40 series at the County Ground, and all the participants at Kings had been given complimentaries, meant a reduction in the matches on Day 1 to 40 overs, plus an earlier 9.30 start. This posed some problems for the Heaton contingent with the “Premier eat as much as you can Breakfast” giving several family members difficult choices as to the number of sausages and bacon slices.


We arrived at Kings alongside Pitch 2 just as the game was to start against Cornwall. Lancashire were batting and Tom was padded up. All the buzz of Sunday disappeared as the Honorary President of the “Lancashire Stressed Grandparents Association” began his week in this mixture of the ancient and the modern.


We finished with a winning draw and 11 points. We batted well getting 173. Frankie top scored with 33 and Tom got 27. Cornwall (our opponents) did not show a great deal of ambition and finished just below the total they needed to achieve to get the points for a losing draw.


The early start to the day was because all the teams had tickets for the CB40 game at the County Ground. Now the last time we (the Heatons), Mum, Dad and Philip, were on this ground, was to watch Philip play his one and only game for England. This was against Sri Lanka when he was 16. He did not play a major part in this game but could remember his one and only international wicket – Marvin Attapatu, Caught Crawley, Bowled Heaton for 17.


Thanks to Plon’s brother Jason we had some comps but not for all. “How Much ??” said the missus when she went to pay - £25.00 for an OAP and £3.00 for a Junior. Does that make sense !! Just after entering the ground which was quite full the rains came. After the rain ceased a 25 over game started and it was clear that Sky Sports were focussing on the gathered groups of U11 players. Texts from Plon, Bomber and Mr Willetts confirmed Tom’s TV views.


After an interesting 20 overs with Somerset batting the rains returned and the Heaton’s retired to their Premier location.


Who are we playing tomorrow ???


Now I said today that I would keep quiet about the surprise text I got yesterday in the midst of all the texts about the Mount and Norden.


But I cannot let it go.


This was from TMcK.


“Have you got some glue for a rubber nose piece on my glasses.”


I could not possibly let you have the rest of the text correspondence.


But it was very amusing to say the least.


Despite our efforts and the failure of Tesco Express to help out TMcK got sorted via the One Stop shop just outside the College.


Now why does he wear them on the top of his head !!!!!


It’s Gloucestershire tomorrow on Pitch 1 starting at 10.00 am.


Plus the U14's are at Oakham School facing Norfork in thr Semi-Final of the Natonal Trophy tommorow.


Phew !!!!!!!.



Subscribe to comments feed Comments (0 posted)

total: | displaying:

Post your comment

Please enter the code you see in the image:



ECB Club Support

Rate this article

  • Email to a friend Email to a friend
  • Print version Print version
  • Plain text Plain text

Subscribe to our Newsletter