Matthew Parkinson & Emma Lamb Named Young Players Of The Season For 2013
Matthew Parkinson, Lancashire’s U16 right arm leg spin bowler was named the “Cedric Rhoades Player of the Season” for boys and Emma Lamb, Lancashire’s U15 all rounder (top order batter and medium pace bowler) was named the Player of the Season for girls.
Both Matthew and Emma received their awards for 2013 at Lancashire Cricket Board’s (LCB) Development of Excellence Presentation Evening on Thursday 5th September. The LCB and Lancashire Schools Cricket Association (LSCA) held their End of Season Awards function for their Representative Youth teams in The Point at Emirates Old Trafford, with 650 players, parents, guests and officials in attendance.
Matthew, aged 16, performed outstandingly well for the County team at U17s level as captain of the squad. He made some notable performances including 3 five wicket hauls, 2 against Derbyshire and 1 against Nottinghamshire. He also represented the ECB North of England U17s in the Regional Super 4s where he took 3 for 33 against the Midlands region and 2 for 27 against the South & West England region. Matthew plays his club cricket at Urmston CC and is at Bolton School, where he has performed consistently well.
Emma has had a run-filled season with Lancashire U15s, U17s, U19s and the County Women Senior Team. She has scored a total 1047 runs at an average of 74.79, including 4 centuries, which included a maiden century for Lancashire Women of 113 not out against Durham Women. She was selected again for the England Women Development Programme at U15s and this year at the U19s level. Additionally she was selected for the U15 Boys Development team, for whom she played 2 games scoring 54 not out in one of them. Emma plays her club cricket at Vernon Carus CC and Leyland CC and goes to St Michael’s CE High School, Chorley.
The evening is aimed at celebrating and congratulating all involved with the Lancashire junior county age group squads, from players to coaches and officials to volunteers / parents.
Trophies were also presented to those players who achieved significant milestones during the season including centuries, 5-wicket hauls / victims, hat-tricks and outstanding wicket-keeping performances (see the recipients of Trophies below).
Lancashire County Cricket Club’s Cricket Director Mike Watkinson presented the evening with Stephen Titchard (LCB Performance manager), John Heaton (Lancashire Schools Cricket Association Secretary) and John Stanworth (Academy Director). Guests of honour were: Geoff Ogden (Development of Excellence Chairman), Peter Moores (LCCC Head Coach) and Simon Kerrigan.
Stephen Titchard (LCB Performance Manager) commented: “On behalf of the Lancashire Cricket Board I’d like to congratulate all the players that have represented Lancashire this year. These players are the best players currently playing within their age groups and we hope some of them will go on to represent Lancashire at the senior level. I also would like to thank all the managers and coaches who help ensure these squads perform to their highest level.”
John Stanworth (LCCC Academy Director) added: “Lancashire's Representative System continues to produce players of the qualities necessary to succeed at the next level. The refinement of our system with the Emerging Player Programme and the Academy programme provide further opportunities for this to be achieved. The successful progress of local players into a very competitive Lancashire's First Team this year has been enjoyed by many. It is evidence that the process of talent identification, selection and confirmation are continuing to move in the right direction in the County. My sincere thanks to the Team Managers, coaches, administrators and volunteers who help enormously with our young cricketers.”
John Heaton (LSCA) further commented: “This season has seen the biggest and best age group programme I have ever been involved with in all the 49 years since I first managed a Town Team in Radcliffe. I feel I am finishing my time with Schools and Youth Cricket in Lancashire on a high note. Our first Presentation Evening many, many, many years ago at Rawtenstall CC was blessed with about 80 to 90 present representing two age group teams. Last night in the Point at Emirates Old Trafford we had 650 plus representing nine boys’ age groups and five girls’ age groups. BRILLIANT.”
Jennifer Laycock (LCB Women & Girls Cricket Development Officer) added: “2013 has been a season of success and also quite a few ‘nearly’ successes for girls’ cricket in the County. With a National Title at U15 T20 competition, a 2nd place overall in National 40 over competition along with the U15 development side coming 3rd Nationally we have a good group of 25 girls there moving forward. The U13s were a young side with 10 of the 16 still eligible for next year’s U13 we look forward to 2014 and are in the hunt for success again. Our U17s are unbeaten and will look forward to their own National final on 21/22nd September. We wish them good luck and hope they can be National Champions 2 years running. The success of the junior girls has passed to the 1st X1 where they were unbeaten in all their group games, something they have been striving for a long time. A loss in the play-off meant they will stay in Division 2 for another year, however 2014 will be a strong year with more and more juniors pushing for places in that side. I would like to thank all those who have supported women and girls cricket in 2013, we are reaping the rewards of the hard work at all levels.”
It was an emotional evening for John Heaton who did his last presentation evening as he steps down as secretary of the LSCA after 29 years. Overall he has contributed 49 years of outstanding service to Lancashire cricket as a volunteer and his tireless work and dedication to the development of young cricketers over the years will be missed. Everyone from the LCB and the LCCC wish him well in his well-deserved retirement.
Results fro the junior county programme available in the downloadable document below.
Junior County Results 2013 (619 Kb)
ANNUAL AWARDS 2013
PLAYER OF THE SEASON (GIRLS) 2013
CEDRIC RHOADES PLAYER OF THE SEASON 2013
MONTHLY AWARDS 2013
Player of the Month – June:
GIRL: BHUMIKA DOSHI (Lancashire U17s)
BOY: SAM OLDHAM (Lancashire 14s)
Player of the Month – July:
GIRL: LUCY STAUNTON-TURNER (Lancashire U13s)
BOY: REHAN UDAWADIA (Lancashire U13s)
Player of the Month – August:
GIRL: ELEANOR THRELKELD (Lancashire U15s)
BOY: MATTHEW PARKINSON (Lancashire U16s)
INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCES TROPHY WINNERS 2013
- QASIM SHAH (U11) 5 stumpings v Staffordshire – August 2013
- JACK BERRY (U12) 5 for 14 inc. Hat Trick v Durham – June 2013
- LUCY STAUNTON-TURNER (U13G) 5 for 4 v Devon - August 2013
- MARTHA SMITH (U13G) 5 for 14 v Wales – August 2013
- BEN HARRISON (U13 Development) 133 v Dorset - August 2013
- DAN SOUTHWORTH (U13 Development) 105 v Buckinghamshire - August 2013
- JOE HALSTEAD (U13) 5 for 8 v Yorkshire - July 2013
- LEWIS DOVE (U13) Hat Trick v Cumbria - July 2013
- CHARLIE DEWHURST (U13) 108 Not Out v Lincolnshire - July 2013
- AHMAD MUHAMMAD (U13) 7 for 8 v Lincolnshire - July 2013
- CHARLIE DEWHURST (U13) 111 v Devon - August 2013
- BEN MILNES (U14 Development) 5 for 37 v Yorkshire - June 2013
- SAM OLDHAM (U14) 6 for 10 v Yorkshire - June 2013
- SAM OLDHAM (U14) 100 Not Out v Cumbria - August 2013
- CHARLIE ROBERTS (U15) 5 for 32 v Nottinghamshire - June 2013
- CHRIS LAKER (U16) 5 for 22 v Wales – July 2013
- CALLUM PARKINSON (U16) 102 v Wales – July 2013
- HARRISON PHELAN (U16) 5 for 40 v North of England – July 2013
- FURQAN SHAFIQ (U16) 5 for 44 v Warwickshire – August 2013
- JOHN DOTTERS (U16) 5 for 42 v CHESHIRE – August 2013
- JOSH BOHANNON (U16) 105 v Yorkshire - August 2013
- REBECCA CLINE (U15G) 5 for 1 v Cheshire - May 2013
- SAMI FOWLER (U15G) 5 for 23 v Somerset - August 2013
- EMMA LAMB (U15G) 108 not out v Derbyshire - May 2013
- EMMA LAMB (U15G) 134 v Staffordshire - July 2013
- EMMA LAMB (U17G) 141 v Warwickshire - June 2013
- MATTHEW PARKINSON (U17) 5 for 25 v Derbyshire - July 2013
- MATTHEW PARKINSON (U17) 5 for 28 v Yorkshire - July 2013
- MATTHEW PARKINSON (U17) 5 for 25 v Derbyshire - August 2013
- JAMES McDONOUGH (U17) Five victims (4ct 1st) v Derbyshire - August 2013
- DANNY LAMB (U17) 5 for 13 v Derbyshire - August 2013
- MATTIE McKIERNAN (U19) 5 for 67 v Combined High Schools of NSW – July 2013
- BEN SAUNDERS (U19) 5 for 49 v Cheshire – July 2013
UNDER 19 AWARDS
APPLEYARD TROPHY (U19 Player of the Season)
EDWIN KAY TROPHY
Rate this article
The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announced a 15-man Physical Disability squad to travel to Bangladesh in this month to compete in the International Committee of the Red Cross International T20 Tournament for people with Physical Disabilities. ... Full story