Winter Lock Down Advice for Clubs
The following advice for clubs has been provided by Marshall Wooldridge Insurance Brokers providers of ExtraCover the official Club Insurance Scheme of the ECB.
As the season draws to a close, it’s a good idea to make a checklist for the Winter Months when your premises may well be unoccupied or used much less frequently.
- Check that the fire extinguishers on the premises have had their annual service inspection and are fit for the job.
- Ensure that Door and Window locks work properly and are all set. Any Shutters or Grilles on the Doors and Windows should be closed and locked down - not only do these protect against theft but can help guard against arson attacks through broken windows.
- Lag water pipes/tanks in buildings and if premises are to be left unoccupied, turn off the supply at the mains and drain down the system to avoid freezing up.
- Equipment and kit which is vulnerable to water damage, so should be placed on stillage, a minimum of 30 centimetres above the floor is recommended. This is particularly important for basements or cellars.
- It’s very important that club buildings are inspected at least weekly, to ensure that any problems can be identified and prevented from escalating. If you don’t have any willing volunteers, draw up a rota so that the task can be shared. We’d recommend that at least two people undertake the inspection, so that there is no risk of a lone volunteer being injured and unable to summon help (be sure to take a mobile phone just in case).
Additional to the above Mark Drinkall from Torrisholme CC also suggested the following:
- Winterise all locks and padlocks by spraying WD40 or similar inside and white silicone grease outside to prevent water ingress. Don't use the silicone grease on any locks which will be used regularly over the Winter, just the WD40.
- Ensure CCTV is working and recording if one is present.
Paul Bryson, Clubs & Leagues Manager for the LCB, said: "With the season now closed and we start to feel the first effects of the winter months, we hope the information and advice provided will help protect your assets during the close season and reduce the need to make unecessary and timeconsuming claims."
Further information can be found at: http://www.marshallwooldridge.com/sports-insurance/cricket-scheme/.
Rate this article
The Coaching Young People and Adults Course dates start October 2015. ... Full story